Monday 18 July 2011

Episode 2: Rob gets a haircut

For the last four years, as anyone who has ever met me will tell you, I have proudly worn my hair long. I've sat it out through gender misconceptions in rural China, confused waiters in British restaurants and the nightmare of split ends and tangled knots. Yet the straw that broke the camel's back, so to speak, is my year abroad.

Exhibit A - long haired lout
I feel that a more practical haircut is in order! At least while i'll be in Petrozavodsk for the first half of my year abroad (i'm doing a course at the state university) it will be nice to not worry so much about how long my mop takes to dry, whether it looks greasy or the sort of impression it makes in a Russian cultural zone. These are the kind of considerations that are not normally addressed when planning a year abroad, but to an extent are as important as getting formal documents in order for a VISA. Practical concerns like these are certainly an issue when picking a country with a more extreme climate than the UK and also when you're going anywhere away from a big city. The next big challenge, in a similar vein, will be getting my wardrobe sorted, but that's for another episode.

Exhibit B - short-haired and Russia-ready?
Anyway, over last weekend I bravely ventured to the local salon (Kaboodles in Torquay if you really want to know) and the results are here for your perusal! As always comments welcome, and, as always, be nice!!

No comments:

Post a Comment